Apple’s two-calendar year transition from Intel processors to its possess custom made-made chips in Macs is almost comprehensive. The only remaining Intel-dependent Macs that Apple sells are a larger-priced Mac mini configuration and the Mac Pro tower, and equally of these types are predicted to be current with M2 series chips by the conclusion of the 12 months.
Centered on the latest rumors, we’ve outlined when to expect new models of each individual Mac in Apple’s lineup and which chips they are envisioned to be run by. For additional info and buy recommendations, check with the MacRumors Buyer’s Information.
- When was the present-day product produced? July 2022
- What chip is in the current product? M2 chip
- When to expect a new design? The second half of 2023
- What chip to expect for new design? M3 chip
- Main layout adjustments for new design? Unlikely, but a larger 15-inch MacBook Air is expected to launch along with the current 13-inch product.
Apple updated the MacBook Air in July 2022 with the M2 chip, a a bit larger 13.6-inch screen, a notch, flatter edges, and new Starlight and Midnight coloration selections. The notebook features MagSafe charging, an upgraded 1080p camera, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a headphone jack with help for high-impedance headphones, 4 speakers, and additional.
Rumors advise that a new MacBook Air with an M3 chip will be launched in 2023 as just one of Apple’s initial Macs with a 3nm chip. In addition to a new 13-inch MacBook Air, Apple reportedly programs to release an all-new 15-inch MacBook Air.
13-inch MacBook Professional
- When was the existing product introduced? June 2022
- What chip is in the recent design? M2 chip
- When to assume a new product? The second 50 percent of 2023
- What chip to count on for new product? M3 chip
- Important structure variations for new model? Unclear. The 13-inch MacBook Pro is the last Mac that Apple sells with a Contact Bar.
Unveiled in June 2022, the latest 13-inch MacBook Professional options the similar design as the former design, with the only notable improve becoming the addition of the M2 chip. A different spec bump to the M3 chip is predicted in June 2023 or later.
14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro
- When have been the recent versions unveiled? October 2021
- What chips are in the present-day versions? M1 Pro and M1 Max chips
- When to expect new products? Oct 2022 most likely, but maybe the very first 50 percent of 2023
- What chips to anticipate for new designs? M2 Pro and M2 Max chips
- Major design improvements for new types? Unlikely, as the much larger MacBook Pro versions obtained a considerable redesign with additional ports and much more in 2021.
Apple’s future-technology 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M2 Professional and M2 Max chips are “very well into growth and screening,” and prepared for launch “as early as this fall,” according to Bloomberg‘s Mark Gurman. As regular in current several years, Gurman said the timeframe could be pushed again due to offer chain disruptions or other aspects.
When some studies suggested that the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips may well be Apple’s very first 3nm chips, it appears to be like progressively likely that the chips will remain 5nm. The chips would continue to have modest performance advancements above the M1 Professional and M1 Max chips, and improved GPU main counts and unified memory (RAM) are also probable.
- When was the current model released? May perhaps 2021
- What chip is in the present model? M1 chip
- When to anticipate a new model? 2023
- What chip to assume for new model? M3 chip
- Major style modifications for new design? Unlikely, as the iMac obtained a important redesign with an extremely-thin colourful enclosure in 2021.
Apple released the colorful 24-inch iMac with an M1 chip in May possibly 2021. According to Bloomberg‘s Mark Gurman, Apple strategies to skip an M2 variation of the iMac and will instead release a design with an M3 chip at some position in 2023.
Gurman also believes that Apple inevitably strategies to launch a more substantial iMac to switch the discontinued 27-inch iMac and iMac Pro styles.
- When was the present-day product launched? November 2020
- What chip is in the recent product? M1 chip
- When to expect a new design? Oct 2022 likely
- What chips to hope for new versions? M2 chip
- Big design improvements for new product? Unlikely.
Apple produced the Mac mini with an M1 chip as a person of its to start with a few Apple silicon Macs in November 2020. Practically two several years later, a new variation of the base product Mac mini with an M2 chip is rumored to be on the horizon.
Mac mini (Intel)
- When was the present-day model introduced? Oct 2018
- What chip is in the current model? Intel’s eighth-generation Main i5 or Core i7
- When to count on a new product? Oct 2022 probable
- What chip to hope for new model? M2 Pro chip
- Big design alterations for new model? Not likely.
Apple nonetheless sells a increased-priced Mac mini configuration with Intel processors, but rumors suggest it will be replaced with a model with an M2 Professional chip shortly. It remains to be observed if the bigger-conclude Mac mini continues to be readily available in Room Grey, as Apple dropped that colour possibility for the common Mac mini when it was up-to-date with the M1 chip.
- When was the present-day model produced? March 2022
- What chips are in the existing design? M1 Max and M1 Extremely chips
- When to be expecting a new design? Unfamiliar.
- What chip to count on for new design? M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips?
- Important style variations for new product? Not likely.
As a 1st-generation product, the foreseeable future of the Mac Studio remains to be observed. There is no obvious timeframe for when the Mac Studio may be up to date, but if it is, it would be sensible to assume a spec bump with M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips.
- When was the present design unveiled? December 2019
- What chips are in the present product? Intel Xeon W processors
- When to assume a new model? By the close of 2022
- What chips to expect for new design? M2 Ultra and M2 Severe chips
- Important design alterations for new model? Probably. The new Mac Professional with Apple silicon could be more compact at a minimal.
At its March 2022 party, Apple teased the start of a Mac Professional with Apple silicon, expressing “that’s for yet another day.” According to Bloomberg‘s Mark Gurman, Apple plans to launch a new Mac Pro with M2 Extremely and “M2 Excessive” chips, and it really is pretty very likely that the computer will be introduced by the stop of 2022, finishing Apple’s shift away from Intel.